Why choose the USA road trip?
America is not only famous for the skyscrapers of New York and the beaches of California. There’s plenty of interesting things in this country, and in order to see all these beautiful, amazing, funny and fascinating places, you should go on a USA road trip. This is evidently the best and most convenient way of traveling, providing the following benefits:
- Freedom of movement. This means that if you see something interesting on your way or if you learn about some unusual place, you can easily deviate from the course or linger a little.
- Relatively low cost of road trip USA. What to see in America with a limited budget? No worries! In case the number of passengers is equal to the number of seats in the car, then you will greatly save and visit a lot of incredible spots at the same time.
- Mobility. You can go to the store or another place to purchase everything you need at any time. When traveling by train, this opportunity is unlikely to be presented.
- Unlimited amount of baggage. You will be able to take almost all you need – you will be limited only by the capacity of the trunk and you won’t have to worry about the excess weight.
- Privacy. Other people won’t bother you, which means you can completely relax.
- Time-saving. Sometimes a trip by car is shorter than, for example, a train ride.
That’s why many travelers prefer to enjoy road trip USA. Where to go is another important issue of the drivers, but actually, there’re many options to choose from. For example, Route 66 – an iconic road connecting Los Angeles in the east and Chicago in the west, or SR 1 Route running from San Francisco to San Diego.
How to plan a road trip across the USA?
Careful preparation is the key to a successful journey. Therefore, many travelers are concerned about how to plan a USA road trip to feel the maximum pleasure and avoid any unexpected situations on the road.
Generally, the major points to do before the trip include:
- Plan your route. Take the map and create an approximate direction to move, and places to stop/stay. Use Google Maps or a special application, which is more convenient and reliable.
- Be sure to learn the features of the area to which you are going. This will take everything you need and avoid unpleasant surprises.
- Examine the weather conditions, find out the forecasts.
- Reserve a rental car at the starting point of the journey. Check the availability of the one-way option.
- Plan your budget. Calculate all major and unforeseen expenses that may arise on the road: for food and drinks, for petrol, as well as for the hotel in case you decide to stay on the way.
- Find out how long a road trip USA will take, or how much time you spend on the road. For this, determine the distance that you will need to drive, and divide it by the average speed. It’s better to accept the minimum values in order to have a time margin.
Also, every journey implies the presence of the most necessary belongings that will be useful to you. Among them are:
- Documents – passport, insurance policy, and a driver’s license;
- Money, and credit/debit card;
- Smartphone USB Car Charger;
- Car neck pillow;
- Portable refrigerator;
What the cost of the full USA road trip?
Any trip requires money, and the USA road trip is even more so. Someone decides to live in a tent, someone chooses a hotel, and someone can eat just one burger per day and drink a liter of water – each person’s spending will differ, depending on personal needs. However, in order to approximately count the number of required funds, it’s necessary to determine the main points of expenditure.
A compact/economy car will cost $15-30 per day, a convertible – from $45 per day.
It depends on the location. For example, in Las Vegas you can easily book a room for $50 per day, in San Francisco – 2-3 times more expensive.
In every major city, there’s a large selection of cafes where you can find healthy food. The average bill with a drink will be about $18-20 (without alcohol). If breakfast is included in the hotel price, then you will spend $20-40 per day for meals.
- Visiting nature reserves
Be sure to buy an annual pass to the national parks, it will allow you to visit them for free all year round. Its cost per person is $20.
- Amusement parks
You’ll spend about $100/person for amusement parks.
Summing it up, expenses for the car, food, and accommodation are about $100/day. A two-week trip with visiting nature reserves and amusement parks will cost about $1500.
If you decide to travel to Canada, your overall expenditure may increase by an additional 20%.
How much does it cost to rent a car for a road trip in the USA?
Cars for travelers are offered by many companies. However, the vehicles of the companies that offer the one-way option are most suitable for USA road trip, as they allow to pick-up and return your car in different locations.
Alamo, Budget, Enterprise, National, Dollar-Thrifty, and Hertz are the best agencies for traveling around the USA. In addition to cheap rates, they feature excellent rental conditions and reliable cars.
Here’re the average prices for rental cars in the USA:
- economy class (Toyota Corolla, Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris, and similar) $14-16 per day;
- business class (Nissan Maxima, Toyota Camry, Dodge Avenger, Hyundai Sonata, and similar) $20-34 per day;
- SUV (Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Chevrolet Tahoe, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevrolet Suburban and similar) $30-80 per day.
How to travel cheaply on a road trip in the USA?
It’s not a secret that cheap USA road trip is a dream of each traveler. The fact is that the total cost of the trip is quite significant, and not everyone can afford it.
Even if it’s impossible to reduce travel expenses by 2 or 3 times, but you can try to reduce them by 20-30% by using the following money-saving tips:
- Book car rental in advance
If reserving vehicle 2-3 weeks before the desired pick-up date, the price will be much lower.
- Choose economy car
The excellent fuel efficiency of small cars will significantly reduce the expenses for gasoline on a road trip.
- Find a cheap pick up location
Don’t rent a car at the airport – it’s better to pick it up in the city center.
- Save on food
Usually, the portions in local cafes are quite large, so one serving will be quite enough for 2 people.
- Search for a suitable lodging
It’s recommended to avoid hotels in the city center and book a hotel with on-site parking. This will significantly reduce accommodation expenses, and allow you to find a place for your car.