In this article, you will find out where to find a cheap car rental in Boston under 25 and the general requirements for it. Also, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to rent a car under 25 in Boston and some useful tips for young drivers.
General requirements for under 25 car rental
If you are under the age of 25 and want to rent a vehicle in Boston, you have to stick to some additional restrictions:
- Be at least 20 years old.
- Have a legitimate driver’s license without any suspensions during the last year.
- Have a valid debit or credit card that matches the name on your ID.
- Be able to pay the Young Renter Fee.
Young Driver Fee is the amount that each rental agency charges underaged drivers. It differs from company to company. What is more, you won’t be able to get all types of vehicles that the company offers. As a rule, underaged drivers can count on Compact, Midsize, Fullsize, Standard, SUVs, and Minivans.
Where to rent a car in Boston under 25?
Like every big city, Boston is filled with different car rental agencies. However, not all of them provide their services to customers under the age of 25. Check out the table below to find information about underage fees and age requirements of nine companies ready to give a car rental in Boston to under-25-year-old drivers. In general, you should be ready to pay additionally from $19 to $36 per day to drive a rental car if you are between 20 and 24 years of age.
|Car rental agency||Minimum age||Underage fee|
|Alamo||21||$25 per day|
|AVIS||21||$27 per day|
|Budget||21||$20 per day|
|Dollar||20||$20-25 per day|
|Enterprise||21||$25 per day|
|Thrifty||20||$29 per day|
|Hertz||20||$19 per day|
|National||21||$25 per day|
|SIXT||21||$23.99-35.99 per day|
So, the cheapest option to rent a car in Boston under 25 depends not only on the rental cost but also on the amount of the young driver’s fee. Hertz provides the lowest underage surcharge in Boston. They not only provide service for 20-years-old customers but also have the most competitive fee price in the market.
Clear instructions on how to rent a car in Boston under 25
Renting a car online for the first time? Find a detailed list of steps on how to rent a car in Boston under 25.
- Visit our Boston car rental under 25 page.
- Enter the date of the car rental in the search form at the top of the page.
- Enter the date of returning a car.
- Enter your age.
- Enter a promo code in a special field if you have one.
- Сlick on a search button to see the best offers of car rentals under 25 in Boston.
- Use our filters to find a car that suits your needs.
- Choose one of the car models and book it in a few clicks.
- Print out the voucher that you will receive in your email after your reservation is confirmed.
- Find the car rental office of the agency in Boston.
- Sign your rental contract and pick up your vehicle.
- Drop off your rental car at the same office car park when you complete your journey.
Useful tips for under 25 car rental in Boston
- If you are under 25, renting a car while staying in Boston will let you explore the vibrant city and surrounding areas, such as Connecticut or New Hampshire. Moreover, a rental car will make your out-of-city trips far easier. For instance, you’ll be able to reach the Foxboro Football Stadium, 28 miles from Boston, in just 30 minutes.
- At Boston International Airport, you can find a Car Rental Center with a 4-level garage for the cars on offer. There are different rental services for young drivers, e.g. Zipcar, Entertainment, AVIS, or E-Z Rent-A-Car. You can reach it by the airport’s free shuttle service. Their blue and white buses are placed at the lower level of every terminal and leave from there every 5-6 minutes.
- Boston’s rush hour (between 5 pm and 6 pm on weekdays) is one of the worst in the U.S., especially for young drivers, so start your trip before or after this time span. Avoid the intersections along Interstate 93 and Route 128, as they will likely be clogged with traffic. Also, drive extra carefully in winter because of possible snow and ice on the road.
- Navigating yourself through the traffic in Boston can sometimes be confusing, especially for young drivers. However, you can add navigation systems to a rental car, which will help you reach different destinations easier. Also, you should pay extra attention and double-check for pedestrians and cyclists while driving, as Boston’s pedestrians are known to jaywalk, and cyclists regularly don’t adhere to the traffic light regulations.
- It is up to 40% more expensive to rent a car under 25 at Boston MA Airport than in off-airport car rental locations.
What to do in Boston if you are under 25 years of age
Boston is full of history. You can spend a day visiting its hallmarks. However, if you are under 25, walking through Harvard Square or visiting the MIT campus and museum might be especially interesting. If you have time, drive to one of the nearby coastal towns like Nahant to sit on the beach and eat some clams.
You can also visit Salem, which is only a 40-minute drive north of Boston. It is well-known as the site of the Salem Witch Trials in the 1600s. So if you are into historical sightseeing, it’s definitely for you.
Cape Cod is a great place if you need a break from the pace of urban life. In less than 1.5 hours south to Cape Cod, you will find the quaint beach towns and will be able to take the ferry to Martha’s Vineyard.
Plymouth will be the best pick for history buffs as it is the site of the first permanent European settlement in the U.S. Only 45 minutes south of Boston, you can enjoy replica villages and museums showing how Native Americans and Pilgrims lived.
Find the best under 25 rental car in Boston at Rental24H.com!
Even if you need an under 25 car rental in Boston, you’ll find a car with the particular price and size you want. On our website, we offer one of the biggest varieties of rental cars. You can even find a van rental in Massachusetts there. Just choose vans in the filter and that’s it! So, what are you waiting for? Visit our website and find your dream car!